Boulder, Colorado, mass shooting: just follow the script
A grocery store in Boulder, Colorado, another mass shooting: just as expected, because these events are by now easily predictable. Just follow the script.
Once more, we want to reiterate a basic concept: the problem is not the weapons, but the criminal use done by mentally deranged people, and the consequent media (and political) propaganda which derives from it.
- Extreme politicization, well beyond common sense and reasonable practical function, leads to extreme visibility.
- Extreme visibility makes mass shootings the ideal way for mentally unstable people who feel deeply neglected and frustrated to get the attention they are denied in lives that appear meaningless to them.
- Media bring the event to the foreground describing it and its author in aggrandizing terms, publishing pictures of the shooter, excerpts of its statements or “manifesto”, if and when found, serving as a sounding board for a deranged fool, all against what psychologists and criminologists have been recommending for over a century: do not publish these people faces, describe them in demeaning terms as the loosers they are, do not incite emulation. Yet incite emulation they do.
- And within a short period, usually no more than a couple of weeks, some copycat commits another mass shooting, such as this, which I mention as vaguely as possible while maintaining this article meaningful, as others have already drawn far too much attention to the event and the regrettable excuse for a human being that did it.
- Then policy makers bring out the issue, blame the tool without giving a thought about what can damage a man to the point of making him believe that killing a bunch of strangers for some visibility is a good idea, and escalate the political debate. And, after a few months pause, you are back to the first point.
Just follow the script.